Thursday, June 12, 2008

Falling for Sushi & Wasabi Sauce

I have always been open to foreign food experiments, at times my friend call me “You & Your Exotic Things”.

Karachi is facing scorching heat; swimming is the only respite in humid summer. Few days back one of my gym friends “John” he is Pakistani but looks like a Russian, offered me to try Japanese food at Kozmo, Sheraton. Restaurant is just across the pool, where I was swimming, so hungry and desperate to try something Japanese after coming back form Tokyo.

My friend wanted to eat sushi and we sat on sushi counter but I wanted to try Tappanyaki ‘cooking food using iron griddle’ It is live and interactive cooking.

Shef was from Philippines, he prepared the counter for Tappanyaki, I tried meat Tappanyaki with rice and Japanese salad followed by Yakitori ‘ my love’.

Here come Sushi, my friend actually acquired the taste for raw fish but It was my first time, was struggling but excited. So far I have learned to eat with chopsticks but raw….hmmmm never been comfy.

When we received Sushi plate, looking really awesome. Sushi is vinegared rice, usually topped with other ingredients, including fish, various meats, and vegetables. Outside of Japan, sushi is sometimes misunderstood to mean the raw fish by itself, or even any fresh raw-seafood dishes.

Finally I discovered that Sushi is basically vinegared rice and corrected my notion of raw seafood dish.

Initially I was struggling but when my friend asked me taste it with Wasabi and soy sauce ‘green bit bitter’ and with Japanese ginger…..taste was really awesome, simply different and delicious.

I also enjoyed the garlic with assorted breads……

One thing was missing the glass of Beer ‘its Pakistan my friend ….sighhhhh” otherwise it was fabulous.

Next experiment is the Korean food, going global with my friend as far as food is concerned….

Lets see what comes next…till then wait.. Kozmo guy handed me over pair of chopsticks to try at home for next time hehehe

No comments: