Sunday, July 12, 2009

OMG 'Smile Police' in Japan

During my last year Tokyo, Osaka & Nagoya trip I came across blue uniform wearing etiquettes and manners police. Never thought they would ever need a smile police , awwwwwwwww that’s so cute. Today i came to know through BBC that , “A Japanese rail firm has introduced a system to check that staff are smiling enough at all times”.

Computerized scanners around 15 Tokyo stations will measure the smile's curvature to ensure it is broad enough.

Those failing to measure up - literally - will be advised to look less serious and more cheerful. This would help lighten up whole environment, I remember I found US more smiling than Japan, people are more friendly but Japanese manners are superior. However, it is generally belived that Japanese do not like or feel welcoming towards foreign tourists. Well, I did not find that during my short stay .

Report further says “The system will also be introduced at a hospital in Osaka to check staff friendliness and at a truck stop to measure the tiredness of drivers”.

They suggests that future applications may include shops - where they could be positioned to measure the reaction of customers to products on display.

This suggests how technology is shaping global society and social behaviours.

1 comment:

Liz said...

I think Japanese people are ADORABLE!