Friday, March 5, 2010

Marriage of Convenience, Contract & MOU!!!!


It was relaxing last day of the working week, one of my friends raised her eyebrows when I mentioned that marriage is a contract and engagement is Memorandum of Understanding. She felt my words were bit too crude.............Well it made me think. I still remember, back at business school, one of the Harvard School of Law graduate teachers used to mention that “In law, a contract is a binding legal agreement that is enforceable in a court of law or by binding arbitration. That is to say, a contract is an exchange of promises with a specific remedy for breach”.
Legal literature suggests that “all spoken contract should be called an oral contract, which might be considered a subset of verbal contracts. Any contract that uses words, spoken or written, is a
verbal contract”.
If one falls in love, shares feelings, verbally commits to a relationship, to me it’s just like any other contract, paper maybe missing "if comapred with marriage" but essence is same. On the other hand there are many who enters into "marriage" relationship, signs on legal documents yet get into infidelity.
A contract paper may have its value but to me relationship is beyond piece of paper, it’s all about honesty and commitment.
Many ‘including me’ believe that “marriage is a sacred contract, its like sharing your life with someone or giving yourself in a special way that we typically don’t do”. It’s like giving something to a partner that is only reserved for her or him.

No comments: