Sunday, May 10, 2009

What’s Wrong with Baluchistan???


Being a Baluch I am often asked a question regarding Baluch struggle against strong center, I usually end up responding to the question with historical snapshot….

Recently a Special Report published by US Center for International Policy title “Pakistan the State of the Union, by SELIG S. HARRISON.

Let me share snap shot of the report to respond to the question What’s Wrong with Baloch !!!

Never Been Part of Pakistan Movement: Neither the Baluch nor the Pashtuns supported the Pakistan movement. In contrast to the Baluch and the Pashtuns, some Sindhis did support the Moslem League, and Sind was incorporated into Pakistan peacefully

Lahore Resolution; A Deception: The Muslim League sought unsuccessfully to win them over by pledging in its Lahore Resolution of March 23, 1940, that the projected Pakistani state would be a confederation in which the constituent units would be “autonomous and sovereign” and central government powers would be limited to defense, foreign affairs, foreign trade, communications and currency. But the Baluch fought militarily against their incorporation into Pakistan until the Pakistan Army occupied Baluchistan in 1958, and they have subsequently waged three insurgencies to win the autonomy promised in the Lahore Resolution or, failing that, independence.

Frequent Army Action in Colonial Fashion: From 1973 to 1977, some 80,000 Pakistani troops were needed to defeat insurgent forces; in 2005, six Army brigades were needed, plus paramilitary forces totaling more than 25,000 men.

Punjab’s Loot & Plunder of Economic Resources ; A Reality Check: Punjab’s per capita income of more the $80 compares with $54 for Baluchistan; the literacy rate in Punjab is seven times higher than that of Baluchistan, and the infant mortality rate in Baluchistan (130 per 1,000 live births) compares with a national average of 70.

One glaring example of Punjabi economic exploitation is that Baluchistan does not get a fair share of the benefits of its own gas deposits. Although gas obtained from Baluchistan accounts for 30 percent of Pakistan’s total gas production, Baluchistan consumes only 17 percent of its own output, while the remaining 83 percent goes to the rest of the country, primarily to the Punjab

The central government charges a much lower price for Baluchistan gas than for gas produced in other provinces and pays lower royalties. Sui gas is extracted under the direct control of the Pakistan armed forces and interfering with access to the gas has repeatedly been a goal of Baluch insurgents.

Baluchistan has some 19 trillion cubic feet of undeveloped gas reserves, six trillion barrels of undeveloped oil reserves and extensive copper and gold deposits that cannot be developed until a political accommodation is reached with the Baluch leaders. At present, 22 foreign investment ventures in Baluchistan licensed by the central government are paralyzed because Baluch leaders challenge the right of the central government to conclude these licensing agreements without Baluch participation that will assure the Baluch populace an equitable share of the benefits of future profits.

Zia Representing Army Believe Baloch are SAVAGE: a conversation with the late President Zia Ul-Haq, a Punjabi, on March 8, 1980, Zia, referring to the Baluch, said that “some of them are almost savages, not like the rest of us.” Members of the minorities often cite the statement by former President Zulfiqar Ali Bhutto in his submission to the Supreme Court shortly before his
execution.

2 comments:

Assad said...

nice post...care ta exchange links?

Anonymous said...

http://iaoj.wordpress.com/2009/05/09/pakistan-the-state-of-the-union-by-selig-s-harrison-a-must-read-analysis/